Congratulations! You are a better golfer than 74.8% of all golfers based upon your handicap. (Honestly, I just made that percentage up!)
But, as a mid-handicapper, it means that you have a cap in the range of 8 to 15, and when you are playing well, you can really go low.
It also means that when you start spraying it all over the course, you may struggle to keep your score under 100.
You landed on this page because you want to see if playing a new golf ball is going to help your game, and we are standing by and ready to help. We tested and reviewed dozens of golf balls over the last few weeks, and found a great one for you.
If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Golf Ball for Mid Handicap is, then we recommend the Titleist Tour Soft Golf Ball as the best one. But if you want to dig into the info, here we go!
Mid-handicap golf balls
Titleist Tour Soft Golf Balls
Kicking off our list is the legendary company known as Titleist. Golfers know them as the makers of top-quality golf gear and equipment. Their craftsmanship and dedication to the sport is truly remarkable and unparalleled.
These Titleist Tour soft golf balls are no exception. They are some of the best golf balls around for any player of any handicap, especially mid handicappers. When designing this golf ball, Titleist had a vision. They wanted to design the golf ball in such a way that it achieved longer distances. Simultaneously, they also wanted to provide a soft and comfortable feel and excellent control.
Well, many renowned golfers and testers have confirmed that Titleist has succeeded in this venture. The soft compression core present in these Titleist Tour soft golf balls is the largest core Titleist has ever used. This aids in providing long-distance golf balls with a soft feel as it creates good speed on impact, which allows you to achieve impressive distances.
Titleist has improved the previous 302-dimple design to a “spherically tiled 342-cuboctahedron dimple design.” This design enhances aerodynamics, which reduces drag on the ball and allows for a consistent flight path. These golf balls have great accuracy, along with high speeds and low drag.
These golf balls have 2-piece construction and a newly designed and engineered thin cover. This cover is made from a blend of materials designed to improve spin and control. This design was to balance out the large and impressive core that is in these golf balls.
What We Liked
- The Titleist Tour soft golf balls provide excellent ball speed and impressive distance. This is due to the large soft core and 2-piece construction.
- They allow for satisfactory greenside control. This is possible due to the specially designed thin cover and dimple design, which aims to provide the ultimate control and spin.
- Due to the soft core and the specially designed cover, these golf balls have a very soft feel on impact. The impact is not only satisfactory but is also a great way to judge your shot.
- The 342-dimple design on these golf balls provides an aerodynamic design. That, in turn, reduces drag and aids in increasing distance, control, and feel.
What We Didn’t Like
- If a player with a high swing speed uses these golf balls, they might not enjoy the experience. These golf balls might be too soft for their liking and playing style.
- They are not among the cheapest options available in the market.
Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls
It should come as no surprise that Titleist has made another entry into our list as they provide golfers with the best equipment and gear. These Titleist Pro V1 Golf balls are known to be among the most famous golf balls in history.
This is because these golf balls cater to the needs and requirements of most golfers who are looking to improve. If you are a golfer that lands in the mid handicap mark, then the most important thing you would be looking to improve in your game is the distance.
Well, this golf ball does not only provide excellent distance. Instead, it adds exceptional control, a consistent flight path, a great trajectory, and basically checks all the boxes. Mid handicappers have even praised the Titleist Pro V1 golf ball. It provides impressive distance off the tee, great greenside control, and everything in between.
These balls also feature fantastic technology. With a 3-piece construction, these golf balls are long-lasting. They have a 2.0 ZG process core, which ensures low spin and faster ball speed. Additionally, they provide an ionomeric casing layer that adds to the overall speed of the golf ball and a thin cover made out of urethane elastomer. They also have a tetrahedral dimple design that has a spherically tiled 352-dimple construction.
These Pro V1 golf balls optimize spin for most golfers and provide great versatility that most mid handicappers will appreciate. On top of all this, the urethane cover not only makes the balls very durable, but they also improve performance by a margin. They also offer a drop and stop feature. This is useful because it ensures that the ball doesn’t roll into a bunker when it lands on the green.
What We Liked
- These Pro V1 golf balls offer exceptional greenside control due to their drop-and-stop feature. This feature holds the ball in place once it lands on the green.
- The Pro V1s have great distance coverage potential due to their solid construction and unique design.
- They offer consistent flight, meaning the balls will always travel in the trajectory you are aiming for. They will not become subject to irregular flight patterns.
- These Pro V1 golf balls have a uniquely soft feel due to the low-profile cover and 3-piece construction. This not only provides satisfactory feedback but is another factor that allows the ball to travel longer distances.
What We Didn’t Like
- These golf balls are a bit expensive when compared to other options in the market. This can become a deciding factor for some mid-handicap golfers.
Callaway Golf Supersoft Golf Balls
Callaway is also one of the most highly acclaimed and trusted golf companies. They are known for their fantastic lineup of golf gear and equipment. These Supersoft golf balls from Callaway provide ample features for people that fall into the mid handicap category. They provide the longest distances with a soft and satisfying feel, which are a significant priority to a mid-handicapper.
The Supersoft golf balls from Callaway feature a proprietary trigonometry cover that will not only make the ball durable but will also provide adequate softness and compression alongside it. While using this ball regularly, you will not face and experience any sort of scuffing or damage. That is due to its top-notch construction and build.
These golf balls also feature a unique and very innovative hexagonal dimple design. This will significantly improve the ball’s aerodynamics by reducing the overall drag on the ball mid-air. If you want a golf ball that not only feels good but also provides ample spin, then this is your best bet as the soft core construction will make all that a reality.
Although it is not related to the quality of play and overall performance, these golf balls are available in a wide variety of vibrant and bright colors. These colors do help you to spot the ball more quickly in some scenarios, though, so that is an added benefit.
Many avid golfers widely use the Supersoft golf balls due to their versatility, durability, and selection of different colors along with their remarkable softness and low compression. However, while many might like the soft feel, others may feel that the ball is too soft for their liking.
What We Liked
- They are reasonably priced and provide good value due to their construction, design, feel, and control.
- Due to the low-profile cover and soft compression core, these golf balls from Callaway provide a soft feel. This feature is very satisfying and makes the game more enjoyable.
- These golf balls are available in many different colors to match your aesthetic taste. That also makes the balls easier to spot on the fairway.
- These Supersoft golf balls from Callaway can travel longer distances due to their aerodynamic design and soft construction.
What We Didn’t Like
- Although the soft construction would satisfy the needs of most golfers, these golf balls might be too soft for some golfers as the structure is unique and unconventional.
Srixon Q-Star Tour 2 Golf Balls
This brand is no stranger to the world of golf. Srixon is known to be one of the pioneers of golf equipment and gear. They aim to provide their customers with the best quality products that will last for a long time.
These Q-Star Tour 2 golf balls are a great representation of the fine work that Srixon is capable of. These golf balls feature 3-piece construction that allows them to have a higher spin than usual. They have a compression rating of 75, which is considered to be low; this is perfect for any golfer, including people with a mid-handicap.
An energetic gradient growth core is also present in these golf balls, contained inside a very thin and low-profile urethane cover with an improved spin skin layer. The Q-Star tour 2 golf balls by Srixon feature a 324 dimple design with a spread out signature Srixon speed dimple pattern. This design allows for low drag. That dramatically improves the flight path, allows for longer distances, and improves the control of the ball.
If you want a golf ball that provides the feel and performance of a tour ball, then look no further. This golf ball aims to do precisely that. Even though you sacrifice some durability with these golf balls, you’ll observe a gain in performance and overall feel. The low compression core also allows for greater spin control. That is an excellent feature for any golfer and especially mid handicappers.
What We Liked
- If you want to feel like you are playing on tour, these will provide that due to the urethane cover equipped with a spin skin covering.
- During putting, the long decal with arrows on the golf ball allows for improved alignment.
- These offer outstanding performance and value for the price.
- These Q-Star Tour 2 golf balls feature a soft compression core that not only produces low driver spin but also allows for more control over the ball.
What We Didn’t Like
- Some golfers have reported that due to the ball being too soft, the putter roll is not that great.
- These golf balls could be a little better on greens as they tend to run longer than required during chipping.
Wilson Staff Fifty Elite Golf Balls
Wilson is another great company in the world of golf and is famous for providing great value and superb quality in its wide selection of golf gear and equipment. These Staff Fifty Elite golf balls are among the most highly acclaimed and highly rated golf balls from Wilson among avid golfers, including players with mid handicaps.
These golf balls feature 2-piece construction and a compression rating of 50. This low compression and construction allows for a lower spin than usual. Hence, this feature is excellent for beginners and intermediate golfers. If you are looking for a golf ball that not only provides superior performance but also delivers that in a reasonably priced package, what more could you ask for other than these golf balls from Wilson?
These Staff Fifty Elite golf balls have an outstanding balance of long distance, ultimate golf ball control, and a soft feel. These golf balls also have an outer layer constructed from 302 PhD aerodynamics. This feature allows the ball to have low air resistance and makes the shots more accurate and precise. The shallow dimples in the ball’s design enable the ball to glide through the air while having a stable and penetrating flight path.
These golf balls by Wilson will give you the edge that you always needed to reach the green to get that eagle or birdie finally. A new slide pack made out of high-quality plastic improves the durability and reliability of the golf ball, making it an excellent option for mid-handicap golfers.
What We Liked
- Due to the fantastic construction and dimple design of these Staff Fifty Elite golf balls from Wilson, you can rest assured about their performance on greens.
- They are very durable, with all credit going to their high-quality material build and protection.
- You can quickly locate them on the fairway or rough because of their vibrant and stand out color options.
- They are made to cover the distance and provide the ultimate control that any mid-handicap player could ask for.
- They provide great features for their price; hence, the pricing is quite reasonable.
What We Didn’t Like
- The durability of these golf balls can be better if another more durable material replaces the plastic slide pack.
- Their feel is certainly not something to write home about as they don’t offer a soft and satisfying feel on impact.
If you are an emerging golf enthusiast and mid-handicap player that is looking to up their game by any means necessary, then you have come to the right place. Your golf clubs are always changing after every shot, but the one thing that remains constant is your golf ball. We will provide you with all the necessary information that you might need to select the best golf ball for mid-handicap players.
What is a mid-handicap golfer?
The golf handicap is basically a way of measuring the skill and level of experience of any golf player. A higher handicap might mean that you are a new player that has gotten into the sport, and you haven’t played any competitive golf yet. In contrast, a mid-handicap player is a player that has a handicap of around 8 to 18. That means that he has a lot more experience and skill. This is an awkward stage as you might be transitioning from being a high handicap player or transitioning to becoming a low handicap player. Hence, this is a vague term.
What to look for in a golf ball for mid handicapper
Before purchasing a golf ball, you need to look at certain factors before taking a leap. Understanding these factors is essential if you want to improve your game.
Golf is an expensive sport. There are countless options available in the market from the entirely cheap to the costly ones. So, before purchasing any golf equipment, you need to set a budget for what you are willing to spend. This will decrease the chances of you overspending on something which you don’t require or have the skills to use.
This is something you need to consider and understand before purchasing any golf ball. Golf balls come with a specified level of compression. Matching that to your swing speed is very important. If you have a fast swing speed, then a ball with a higher compression rating is more suitable to your needs and vice versa. Compression has a massive effect on the overall distance coverage potential that you have. Hence, it can become a deciding factor of you losing or winning a game.
Feel is not a term that you can easily measure or define. However, it is the feeling that you have when you strike the ball with your club or driver. A golf ball should have a comfortable feel, and you should find a golf ball that has a feel compatible to your play style. Feel is an important aspect all around the course, as every shot provides feel. If you get a golf ball with a good feel, your performance will surely be better.
Control | Spin
Spin and control are very important, and you need to find a golf ball that is versatile. This means that the ball should be able to spin to your liking and according to your shot, as you may require different types of spin on every attempt.
Things to consider
You need to consider some factors before you decide to go out there and purchase golf balls. These could drastically affect your game and help you to choose a more compatible ball.
How consistent is your game?
You need to make your shots consistent before looking for a ball to improve your game. You cannot reverse inconsistency by merely getting a better golf ball. That is why we recommend that you first streamline your shots then get a better golf ball.
Do you play for fun, or do you compete?
If you just play for fun, there is no point in spending a fortune on high-end golf balls. However, if you play competitively, you might want to consider getting a better golf ball.
Types of courses you play
Narrow courses might require balls with more control and spin, whereas wider courses might require a golf ball that offers a lot more distance without any baggage.
How many golf balls do you lose per game?
If you tend to lose many golf balls on the course, you should avoid purchasing expensive ones. That would just be an unwise investment, in that case. You could find better value at a much cheaper and affordable price point.
Construction of the golf balls
A golf ball needs to be durable enough to last you a while. The materials used and the type of construction is a huge factor when choosing golf balls. It also determines how often you might end up purchasing new ones.
You might think that a golf ball is not that important when you are out on the course, but you are certainly mistaken. Choosing the best golf ball that suits your play style and requirements not only improves your performance but also makes the game a lot more enjoyable as well. That is why we have presented you with a full guide and selection of the best options available.
Hopefully, you have scanned through our list and selected the best amongst them. Even though the options presented in the list are all great picks for mid handicappers, we think that the best option for you is the Titleist Tour Soft Golf Ball. That is because they provide all the necessary features that one may require. Alongside that, they also have some added perks such as a fantastic feel, solid construction, and easy-to-spot color options.
On top of all this, they have a very reasonable price as well. This makes them a great deal for any mid handicapper. However, if you have any reservations about our top pick, you can always look through our list again. The list and the buying guide completed by PG Golf Links will help you make an informed decision about where to spend your hard-earned money. All the best!