If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what is the Best Irons for Beginners, then we recommend the 2020 Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Iron as the best one.
Golfing is now becoming a widely indulged sport, probably because of the calmness and serenity it provides. Our daily life is getting more hectic with each passing day. Whether it’s being stuck in back to back meetings all day or cramming a semester’s worth of courses in a week, we all pile up a little too much on our plate now and then. So, it’s essential to sit back and relax every once in a while, and people are now picking up on golfing to do so. Even people in their teens and early twenties have found an escape in golfing, something that wasn’t common in past years.
Now, if you’re a beginner or have been playing golf for years, you will know what importance a good golf iron carries. Let us explain what exactly a golfing iron is for those of you who are new in the golfing golf course and haven’t yet heard of the name. To put it simply, a golf club is a golf iron. It consists of metal and hence the name ‘golf iron.’ There are many different types of golf irons available with varying features. This article discusses a few frequently asked questions regarding choosing the best golf iron and the best irons available in the market.
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Golf Iron for Beginners
- Buyer’s Guide for the Best Golf Iron for Beginners
- Rundown: Best Irons for Beginners
- Bottom Line
Now, if you’re a beginner, you might be confused about which golf iron is the best for you. Meanwhile, advice from fellow, experienced golfers may leave you overwhelmed. So it is crucial to select a golf iron that best suits your playing style and comfort. Hence, when shopping for a golf iron, the first step is knowing what to look for when choosing a good iron.
1. What type of golf iron suits me as a beginner?
When you survey the golf market, you’ll realize there are a number of different golfing irons present with varying performance and features. Namely, the four basic types include:
- Super game-improvement irons
- Game-improvement irons
- Players irons
- Players distance irons
Now out of all of these, the first golf iron is the super game-improvement iron. This is an iron that is specifically for beginners. It provides greater distance, lift off the ball high into the air, and provides more forgiveness when you miss the sweet spot. It also ensures that you don’t miss the target because of its larger head and a broader sole. Another plus is a greater sweet spot on the iron due to the fact that it has a hollow cavity. It also comes with perimeter weighting that distributes the weight around the edges for better performance.
Mid-level and professional golfers use the other three types of golf irons.
2. What iron shaft best suits me?
The iron shaft majorly influences a golfer’s performance in addition to the golf iron. There are three main types of iron shafts in the market.
- Steel shafts are the heaviest ones out there because they are difficult to swing. They are more hard-hitting and produce consistent results.
- Graphite shafts are the opposite of steel shafts as they are lightweight and flexible. They produce a good and easy swing but are less consistent.
- Multi-material shafts combine steel and graphite. Hence, they provide double the benefits and better control over the ball’s speed and distance.
It is vital that you choose the one that suits your swing style and provides a feeling of control while you play.
3. What are the different iron lengths?
Golf irons come in three sets based on their lengths.
- Long irons – 2, 3, and 4-irons
- Mid irons – 5, 6, and 7-irons
- Short irons – 8 and 9-irons (including the pitching wedge)
If you choose a long iron, the ball will cover a larger distance but handling it is difficult. A long iron has a smaller loft, but it hits the ball further. Meanwhile, a shorter iron has a larger loft, but the ball travels a smaller distance. Another point you should keep in mind while choosing your irons is to separate them by a 4-degree loft gap starting from the 3rd iron and going up to the pitching wedge. This allows you a gap of 12 to 14 yards between each iron. Usually long-iron players use a 3-degree gap while short hitters use a 5-degree gap.
4. What design of irons can I find in the market?
The main two types of golf irons in the market include:
- Blade irons – Professionals and experienced players usually use these irons. The blade head has a thin face and a smaller hitting area. The blade irons have the tendency to distribute weight evenly through the blade, due to which the sweet spot reduces to a center point. The sweet spot provides a better experience and shapes the shot beautifully.
- Cavity back irons – These irons are hollow at the back of the blade, and the weight is at the edges of the iron rather than the center. This increases the moment of inertia and forgiveness the iron provides. Along with a thin clubface, these irons help off-center shots travel straight and at a greater distance.
Usually, beginners should use cavity back irons to get greater forgiveness even if the ball doesn’t hit the sweet spot.
5. Can I customize a golf iron according to my needs?
You can definitely customize golf irons for individual players. This is particularly important for players with handicaps who struggle to find the right length. You can customize the irons from the beginning to create an iron that best meets your needs. Otherwise, you can have a pre-made iron altered to fit your specific measurements to provide an amazing golfing experience.
Rundown: Best Irons for Beginners
We’ve gathered data on the top five golf irons in the market for you to choose from.
This iron set is on top of our list because of several exceptional features. These range from an A-class turf performance to an unusual wedge spin. There is no going wrong with this iron if you are a beginner at the game. It is most suitable for players with handicaps, providing them with ease while playing.
This iron comes with state of the art Feel Balancing technology, which is specifically for the Cleveland Golf 2018 iron set. This technology aids in iron control by intensifying the club’s feel, which in return adds to a positive and enjoyable golfing experience.
The build of the iron is another eye-catching feature. It has structures like grooves (tour zip grooves) for preventing any dirt or soil that may get stuck to the iron. These then increase ball flight and double laser milling, creating an uneven outer surface to increase friction and promote better control when using a wedge iron.
The clubs in this set come in varying shapes of irons that provide a greater assortment of them to choose from when playing and also perfect your swings and hits.
Cleveland golf irons are among the best ones on the market with modern design and exceptional performance. They are suitable for beginners and will be a worthy investment for your golfing career.
What We Liked
- This iron set is built in the perfect way to allow ease in your swings. This is important for any beginner who has just started practicing their swings and want things to be a little easier for them.
- The iron provides excellent control over your strokes, swings, and the ball. This is because of the milled exterior, which creates greater friction with the ball, improving control over the shot.
- Cleveland is famous for the quality of its products, and this golf iron is no different. The composition, structure, and material used in its build are top-notch, adding to the iron’s longevity and durability.
What We Didn’t Like
- Although there is a variety among the irons, the distance the ball travels may be inconsistent, and the same iron may not produce the same result every time.
- The price range is a bit high, especially if you’re a beginner and are just testing out your hand at golf.
This golf iron is stunning to look at. However, it also has a ton of features that make you want to grab it straight off the shelf. This golf club often impresses beginners because of the confidence boost it gives. The aesthetics of the model just add to the gaming experience.
Its manufacturing uses multi-material construction (MMC), using the best quality materials for a never-before-experienced quality and golf performance. The manufacturers use metals like carbon steel, titanium, and tungsten in combination to ensure maximum performance and add more forgiveness in the iron.
The exterior has a satin nickel-chrome sheet coating, adding to the classic look. That also minimizes sun reflection on the surface, making it easier to play with in the afternoons. The iron is a hollow cavity iron, which is perfect for beginners providing a wider sweet spot and greater distance in the air.
It also features unique Harmonic Impact technology. This works by improving the iron’s orientation and reducing vibrations to allow the player to feel the swing deeply.
There are a number of great features that this iron has, making it a hot favorite on our list. Its build makes it a good choice for beginners who want to gain control over their swings and desire a golf iron with a modern design.
What We Liked
- The classic, sleek look is an immediate plus. Who doesn’t like a good looking golf iron that looks simple but also has many immaculate features to uplift your golfing experience?
- Because of the iron’s ability to reduce vibrations, golfers get a crisper and firmer feel of the hit, which adds to overall performance. However, it is also soft enough for beginners to feel comfortable with their shots.
- This golf iron is able to provide a consistent height and distance to the ball with each swing. That makes it an excellent choice for beginners who are learning to hit uniform shots.
What We Didn’t Like
- The overall structure of the iron may feel a bit rigid to some players. Being made of combination metals makes the iron inflexible and rigid. This may make it difficult to control for beginners.
Do we have another Cleveland golf iron on our list? Yes, we absolutely do, and for the right reasons. The 2020 Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Iron caters to most golfers. It is especially a good option for newbies who aren’t always able to hit the ball and frequent many miss-hits. Cleveland has resolved this issue by using a larger hollow head with ribs on the inside, making it more forgiving. It also gives the golfer a larger area to hit the ball.
This iron has a Hi-Bore Crown trait that makes it lightweight, enhancing the ball’s distance and flight. That makes it go right towards the target. This iron set comes with several differently shaped irons that help you score no matter the golfing conditions.
The turbocharged clubface consists of high-strength steel that offers greater ball hitting speeds. These irons are also great for optimizing shots, allowing you to hit different distances for different golfing shots.
However, because of its hollow head, the sound produced upon impact is significantly higher. This may disturb your concentration and judgment of the shot.
This golfing iron is very good at improving a beginner’s technique and allowing a bit of comfort to the players while practicing harder strokes and swings. So, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that starting your golfing career with this iron is the way to go.
What We Liked
- The design is the first thing that made us drool. With its classy matte black exterior, this golf iron is hard to resist. It makes for a very cool addition to your iron collection.
- Because the clubhead is a hollow cavity and is light and deep weighted, it provides excellent ball flight even with ill-timed or missed shots. This is a crucial feature for beginners who are still learning swing and shot control.
- Beginners struggle to polish their slices, and this golf iron is ideal for those new golfers. The iron is designed in a way that prevents the ball from swinging in the opposite direction.
What We Didn’t Like
- The iron produces a powerful sound when it hits the ball. This loud sound can cause a disruption during play for golfers.
The manufacturers of this golf iron state that they have used artificial intelligence to make this product. This allowed them to incorporate several notable features. Some of these features make it a strong contender for the title of the best beginner golf iron.
This iron comes in three different types based on your level of expertise in the game:
- Mavrik Standard – the longest iron in the set. Suitable for all players, especially beginners
- Mavrik Max – offers the highest launch and is pretty forgiving, too, owing to which it is excellent for players looking to improve their game.
- Mavrik Pro – as the name says, for professional or seasoned golf players
This golf iron uses the Flash-Face Cup technology via a unique face structure. This increases the ball speed and spin, allowing it to cover more distance. Another structural feature is the Tungsten Energy Core that improves the position of the center of gravity. It also allows for more shot accuracy and positively influences trajectory as well.
The manufacturers of the golf iron have a licensed feature known as urethane microspheres. This is a fantastic addition to the overall performance of this iron. These microspheres are one of a kind and serve to reduce vibration significantly while simultaneously enhancing speed. Anyone new to the game greatly appreciates these microspheres; they provide a sense of comfort while playing.
This golf iron has incorporated advanced technology to cater to the needs of its clients, especially beginners. The features are ideal for beginners, making it an excellent choice for them.
What We Liked
- This golf iron helps increase the ball’s trajectory, allowing it to cover a significant distance. Again, this is important for beginners working on their hits and looking to hit the ball closest to the target hole.
- The added features of microspheres and Flash Face Cup technology increase ball spin, making it rise higher in the air with even mistimed shots. This also increases the ball speed allowing it to travel through the golf golf course faster.
- The construction of the iron is another plus. Made with the finest metals, it is highly durable and can last up to several years without any bends or dents.
What We Didn’t Like
- The iron’s exterior comprises chrome steel, which may start to erode or chip off with years of golfing. Hitting the ball hard can mark the golf head, giving it an unattractive look. It may even affect the impact on the ball.
This is one of the most economical and high-quality golf irons out there. But that’s not all; it isn’t just a golf iron but rather a full-on golf set with putters and iron sand wedge included too. So, if you’re a beginner looking to buy all your golfing tools at once, this might be the deal for you.
The stainless steel iron is undeniably of the highest quality. It provides high longevity, making it perfect for practicing your imperfect and hard hits at the beginning. It also has a perimeter weighting feature, meaning the golf club’s weight is concentrated at the clubs’ edges rather than the center. That helps provide more forgiveness and a richer golfing experience.
These golf irons are smaller than most other irons in the market, but they also have a longer No. 5 Fairway wood. Hence, they provide you the choice of whichever length you’re comfortable with. The smaller size also makes it more forgiving and prevents mishits. Additionally, the weighted face improves the accuracy of any mistimed shots.
The irons come in a golfing bag complete with all golfing essentials. It is ideal for storing different golfing accessories at convenient places. It also comes with a self-supporting stand.
This iron is great for beginners who don’t want to spend a lot of money on their first iron set but also want something of high quality and good performance. The added carry bag also makes the golf iron more appealing and practical to buy.
What We Liked
- The main plus is the affordable price, which is not something we’ve seen in the other golf irons. This is an excellent feature for beginners who may not want to spend a lot of money while just starting.
- The perimeter weight is another feature that is very impressive as it helps provide more forgiveness for new players and makes it more comfortable to play.
- It also comes in a carry bag that makes it easy to carry around everything, including golf irons and accessories, on the golf course.
What We Didn’t Like
- The irons are smaller in length, which all golfers may not prefer. It may make it challenging to handle while playing.
Choosing a good golf iron, especially when you’ve just started learning the game’s basics, can be very confusing and tiring. We’ve listed our favorite picks for the best golf irons for beginners in this article for you to choose from.
While all of these products are exceptional, we must say we have to choose the 2020 Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Iron. That is due to all the fantastic features and comfort it provides while playing, not to forget its classy matte finish exterior. Having said that, all the irons we listed above are great for improving your golf skills if you’ve just started playing. Give them a try and see what fits best for you. We wish you a successful golfing season ahead!